- Organic or natural cotton casing fabric and batting provides supreme comfort and breathability;
- High-density hypoallergenic foam provides firm support and longevity;
- Natural wool wrap instead of toxic chemicals used as fire retardant;
- No metal springs or other metal components that may amplify surrounding electromagnetic radiations;
- Over time the mattress compresses to conform to the contour of your body;
- Life expectancy 8+ years;
- Quality made in Canada since 1981.
A Tradition of Quality
Dream Designs, originally known as Dream Futon, started making futon-style mattresses in 1981. Late owner, Irma McInnis, who used to sew the futons herself, once explained how the company got its start. "When a girlfriend talked about the cotton mattresses in Israel, I wanted to find out more. At that time polyester was "in" and you couldn't even find cotton underwear! I saw an opportunity to make natural textiles a part of people's everyday lives, to make healthy 'sleep pods' with no metal springs and no electromagnetic discharge. Futons are a simple, pure design that affords people a rejuvenating sleep."
Today, Dream Designs' mattresses are known as Dream Beds, though each mattress is still handmade one at a time with the same attention to detail that Irma instilled over thirty years ago. Through the years these mattresses have acquired a loyal following of customers who enjoy the comfort, craftsmanship, and durability of Dream Beds.
The Dream Bed is filled with your choice of natural or organic cotton batting and hypoallergenic, biodegradable, polyurethane foam. The foam we use is manufactured locally in the Greater Vancouver area at sea level and includes natural vegetable oils such as soy and is safe to use. The layers of cotton batting and high-density foam are then wrapped with a layer of wool which meets Canadian fire retardant requirements, but also wicks away moisture, equalizes temperature and humidity, deters dust mites from inhibiting the mattress, and provides additional cushioning comfort. Dream Beds are cased in a premium unbleached natural cotton or organic cotton casing and finished with tufting by hand throughout to prevent the materials from shifting inside.
- Minimalist mattress - made of organic or natural cotton batting, 1 layer of 1" high-density foam, and cased in either organic or natural cotton. Firm, compact, and easy to move. 3" in thickness.
- Deluxe mattress - made of organic or natural cotton batting, 2 layers of 1" high-density foam, and cased in either organic or natural cotton. It is better suited for those who prefer a softer mattress. 6" in thickness.
- Supreme mattress -made of organic or natural cotton batting, 3 layers of 1" high-density foam, and cased in either organic or natural cotton. It is better suited for those who prefer their mattresses firm. 6" in thickness.
- Mattress topper - made of organic or natural cotton batting, wrapped in wool, and cased in either organic or natural cotton. It can either be used as a topper to add comfort and breathability to a mattress or on its own on a Japanese tatami mat. 2" thick in thickness.
- Mattress pad - Same construction as our mattress topper, but only 1" thick. An ideal pairing for our latex mattresses.
Sleeping on a Dream Bed is like sleeping on a dense cloud of cotton. It is soft yet supportive and promotes totally restful sleep. Unlike conventional spring mattresses, there are no metals inside of the Dream Bed, which means no squeaking sound, bouncing motion, or electromagnetic output. Unlike foam mattresses, our mattresses do not trap heat, but naturally regulates temperature by allowing air to pass through.
The Dream Bed has a recommended lifespan of 8+ years depending on usage, although some customers have told us they've used their beds for over 15 years! When you suffer from deteriorating comfort and diminished support, it's time to shop for a new bed.
Use and Care
The Dream Bed should be either placed directly on the slats of a platform bed frame or on top of a box spring to ensure air ventilation. It is necessary to flip and rotate the Dream Bed periodically to even out the compression. Please clean the Dream Bed by spot clean with a damp cloth and thorough air dry.
Shipping is free to Greater Vancouver metro areas. If you are outside of the Greater Vancouver areas, we will email you the shipping cost for approval once you place the order. Due to size restrictions, we may not be able to ship Queen and King Deluxe and Supreme mattresses to areas outside of the Greater Vancouver region. Vancouver customers can either pick up their mattress from our warehouse or have it delivered for free on Saturdays.
Our mattresses can only be sold in Canada. The US has stricter flammability standards which require the use of potentially toxic petrochemicals. Exceptions can be made with a doctor's prescription for non-CFR 1633 compliant mattress. For more information, visit www.peopleforcleanbeds.org.